HDHomeRun Review Part 3

If you are coming to this review fresh I highly recommend you catch up on the previous instalments.

Here in part 3 we are trying to get the device to work with a recent build of MythTV. As Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) has recently been released we are going to use the Mythbuntu 9.04 build as our base.

Sadly the DVB-T HDHomeRun doesn’t work with the build of MythTV shipped with Mythbunto 9.04, so we are using a modified build produced by Jean-Yves Avenard. Jean-Yves produces regular updates to his builds, and I’m running

0.21.0+fixes-20462-openglvdpau-0ubuntu1.

I’m starting with a clean environment so we need to add a new capture device. As I only have a single device on my network I can use the generic device ID.

I start mythtv-setup and choose the first option to setup a Capture Card.

Capture Card

Next we need to define a new video source

Video Source

Now attach the video source to the capture card

Input

Then we can run the channel scan. Note that we have to select Finland for the country as selecting New Zealand always fails to perform a channel scan.

Channel Scan

The scan appears to work and we have full set of NZ DVB-T channels.

Channels

Sadly I now run into a number of issues that I have been unable to resolve.

From the MythTV Frontend I select LiveTV to check that channel tuning is working. This returns immediately with no video playback.

A look into the mythtv backend logs shows the following messages

2009-05-20 21:04:02.234 adding: mythtv as a client (events: 0)
2009-05-20 21:04:02.241 TVRec(4): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2009-05-20 21:04:02.252 TVRec(4): HW Tuner: 4->4
2009-05-20 21:04:02.264 HDHRChan(ffffffff/0): device found at address 192.168.0.147
2009-05-20 21:04:02.279 HDHRChan(ffffffff/0), Error: dtv_multiplex data is required for tuning
2009-05-20 21:04:02.286 TVRec(4) Error: Failed to set channel to 4. Reverting to kState_None
2009-05-20 21:04:02.296 TVRec(4): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None

It looks like we don’t have valid entries in the dtv_multiplex table which maps channels onto the DVB multiplexes. A check of the mysql database shows the following for the channel C4.

mysqldump --skip-opt -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword
-h $DBHostName $DBName -t --compact  channel --where 'name="C4"'
INSERT INTO `channel` VALUES (3004,'4',NULL,3,'C4','C4','',NULL,'','',0,
32768,32768,32768,32768,'Default',0,1,'',1,39,1301,NULL,0,0,0,'0000-00-00 00:00:00','crid://c4tv.co.nz',-1);
mysqldump --skip-opt -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword
-h $DBHostName $DBName -t --compact  dtv_multiplex --where 'mplexid="39"'
INSERT INTO `dtv_multiplex` VALUES (39,3,29,8746,0,'a',NULL,NULL,
NULL,NULL,'8','3/4','8','1/16',0,'qam_64','n','3/4','dvb',13,'2009-05-20 08:47:24');

It looks like the frequency and modulation entries aren’t set correctly. I fixed these up by manually updating entries in the database.

mysqldump --skip-opt -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword
-h $DBHostName $DBName -t --compact  dtv_multiplex --where 'mplexid="39"'

INSERT INTO `dtv_multiplex` VALUES (39,3,29,8746,570000000,'a',NULL,NULL,
NULL,'auto','8','3/4','8','1/16',0,'qam_64','n','3/4','dvb',13,'2009-05-20 09:05:55');

Then I tried LiveTV again which produced better output in the mythtv backend logs, but sadly still fails to produce a TV picture, although it does report on signal strength.

2009-05-20 21:39:14.403 TVRec(4): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2009-05-20 21:39:14.408 TVRec(4): HW Tuner: 4->4
2009-05-20 21:39:15.461 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
2009-05-20 21:39:16.647 Finished recording Unknown: channel 3004
2009-05-20 21:39:17.779 Finished recording Unknown: channel 3004
2009-05-20 21:39:17.825 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 3.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
2009-05-20 21:39:17.940 Using runtime prefix = /usr
2009-05-20 21:39:17.948 Empty LocalHostName.
2009-05-20 21:39:17.950 Using localhost value of mythtv
2009-05-20 21:39:17.961 New DB connection, total: 1
2009-05-20 21:39:17.970 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2009-05-20 21:39:17.973 Closing DB connection named 'DBManager0'
2009-05-20 21:39:17.975 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2009-05-20 21:39:17.977 New DB connection, total: 2
2009-05-20 21:39:17.989 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2009-05-20 21:39:18.000 Current Schema Version: 1214
2009-05-20 21:39:18.033 Preview Error: Previewer file '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/3004_20090520213914.mpg' is not valid.
2009-05-20 21:39:18.046 Preview Error: Run() file not local: '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/3004_20090520213914.mpg'
2009-05-20 21:39:18.065 Preview Error: Preview process not ok.
            fileinfo(/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/3004_20090520213914.mpg.png) exists: 0 readable: 0 size: 0
2009-05-20 21:39:24.333 TVRec(4): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2009-05-20 21:39:25.346 Finished recording Unknown: channel 3004

At this point I tried upgrading to a slightly more recent build from Jean-Yves (0.21.0+fixes-20573-openglvdpau-0ubuntu0), but had the same LiveTV issues.

By using tcpdump to monitor the network traffic, I managed to confirm that the HDHomeRun is being set to the correct channel, and a valid DVB stream is being sent to the MythTV box over the network.

I tested my Mythbuntu install with a USB DVB-T tuner with no issues, and also dumped a transport stream from the HDHomeRun using the command line tools that the MythTV frontend could playback.

I’ve opened a ticket in the MythTV trac environment #6527 to keep an eye on the issue. If this gets resolved before I need to return the review unit I’ll post an update here, and I’m very interested in hearing from anyone who has a combination similar to NZ working. I’ve seen reports of it working with MPEG-2 based streams in Australia, but I haven’t seen any get it working with the H.264 + HE-AACv2 combination we have here in NZ.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.